Power Point is to Boost Your Business not Bust It!
“Sarah, you would be so proud; I have gone from 45 slides to 25”. Pride is probably not the word I would use. 25 slides, you guessed it, 25 is too many. No, actually power point has a place, and a purpose.
Power point is what World Class Speakers call an anchor. There are several types of anchors, but power point is just one. Within a speech you may have 3-4 points. Within that one point you can use a slide or two. Think of power point as a creative tool, not a crutch. Think of power point as a boost to your presentation, not a bust.
How many slides is the right number?
This will depend on your presentation. 1st, you have to have your presentation completed, the message stand alone. Now, start boosting your presentation:
- Would a picture, boost the visual for this point?
- Do I need to share the diagram to boost the audience’s understanding of that point?
- What humour or emotion can I boost by adding this slide?
As you see, by asking questions, you can build a boost through power point. By starting with power point and then adding your message from the power point you are sure to hit a bust.
One last thought, what happens when that “machine” doesn’t work?
By following the steps to building your presentation, power point or not your message will stand alone.
- Build your presentation.
- Ask yourself, what can boost this presentation – ask yourself what is the purpose of this slide?
- Go back and try your presentation without the slides, does it still stand alone?
Learn about anchor number 2, in the very next blog.